Helicopter Private Pilot Licence
What are the privileges of a Helicopter PPL?
- Flight Instruction
- Conducting skill tests and proficiency checks
What do I need to start a Private Pilot Licence (Helicopter)?
You don’t require anything to start a PPL(H) as it is the first licence for anyone starting out. If you don’t already hold a licence, you will need to complete 45 hours of flight instruction on helicopters, 5 hours of which may have been completed in an approved flight simulator (an FNPT or FFS), including at least:
- 25 hours of dual flight instruction.
- 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 185 km (100 NM) that includes 2 full stop landings at an aerodrome different from the departure aerodrome.
- 35 of the 45 hours of flight instruction have to be completed on the same type of helicopter used for the skill test.
As well as completing the practical flight training, you will also need to complete a number of theoretical examinations, at present these are:
- Air Law (Air Law Student Manual – Buy Now)
- Operational Procedures
- Communications (Communications Student Manual – Buy Now)
- Navigation (Navigation Student Manual – Buy Now)
- Meteorology (Meteorology Student Manual – Buy Now)
- Flight Planning and Performance
- Principles of Flight
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Human Performance (Human Performance Student Manual – Buy Now)
On top of these theoretical exams you will also need to complete a practical radio-telephony examination with an approved examiner.
Once all these are complete and you have carried out the required training you will complete a mock-test before completing the full Licence Skills Test which will last around 2 hours and be completed with your local CAA Examiner.
PPL (H) crediting if you hold a LAPL (H)
- 5 hours of dual flight instruction,
- At least 1 supervised solo cross-country flight, of at least 185km (100NM), plus full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome
PPL (H) crediting if you hold another licence:
What is the cost of gaining a PPL(H)?
How do I get started?
To get started, either find your local flying school in our directory or click on the link below to purchase a trial flying lesson now (available nationwide and as gift vouchers…)